New DirectEdit MXF for file-based Playback of Media.
No need for SDI input and use of a server playback channel. But with the same features. www.directedit.de
DirectEdit: Visual Quality Control and Transmission Treparation in the Television Broadcasting Center
Given the many formats of delivered video files the general playability is of interest, but also the In and Out marks for the playout must be examined. The time code could be slipped or absent, important for the subtitle position. Incorrect settings should be corrected immediately.
The quality control includes the following criteria:
- Image and sound disturbances
- Aspect ratio (AFD)
- Audio tracks Assignment (language)
- In and Out marks
- Subtitles synchronicity, location and name of the STL file
- Availability Backup Server and proxy material
- Workflow attributes (technical / editorial)
- Provision for lowRes exports
These tests are reliable only on real server playout channel.
Q.C. of HiRes material directly from Grass Valley or Summit Harmonic Omneon server, with access to the broadcast automation. -extended Preview-
- Check the SOM and EOM of the broadcast segments
- Loading of material from the Automation ID list
- Timeline for orientation in the material, jogging with Mouse Wheel
- Inspection during recording, growing timeline
- Peak meter for 16 audio channels, pairwise Monitoring via PC speakers
- Preview before saving even one frame - single step
- embedded Image, recognize and set the AFD Aspect Ratio
- embedded Audio: Listen to the single AES / EBU pairs, control the mapping language, DOLBY track
- Subtitles: load, save, view and synchronize
- Workflow user data "Technically Ok", "Content approved", "needs attention" stored directly in the MXF container
- Check the availability on Main, Backup and Grid, manage copies
- Control post-processing for IP Media, create jobfiles for transcoding stations
- Integration with Harris ADC or Aveco broadcast automation, others as needed
- IP-controlled player connect to Harmonic Omneon video servers and Grass Valley Summit
- Standard Windows workstation with SDI input card for SDI video signal with embedded audio
- Video with embedded audio input HD or SD, SDI real time signal
- Peak meter for 16 audio channels, AES/EBU Monitoring via PC speakers
Audio tracks assignment
If an incorrect channel mapping is detected when listening, the material may be copied with new track distribution. The material will be stored under a new name, as a pointer copy it is fast and takes little extra space on the server.
Preparation with DirectEdit: Edit, Cut and Paste, like the Preview module of the Automation with some extras
In some cases the program delivery is not finished. Lengths need adjustment, or material has to be added. Sometimes scenes or frames must be cut out (censoring). The connection to the automation of DirectEdit database enables reliable registration of SOM and EOM in the segments of the playout. The material remains unaffected by the changes, the ID remains the same, it is only the play mode of the playout segments changed in the automation, even with multi-segment broadcasts. For material still being recorded and already on air (rebroadcasting), the EOM can be set precisely.
Direct creation of media files using Server API
- Provision for loRes exports
- Audio tracks reassignment
After completion of the segments editing process, the program may also be stored as a new composite media file. The naming can be customized according to customer requirements, e.g. are read from external sources. Audio tracks as AES / EBU pairs can be rearranged. The original files remain unchanged. Use in export for archiving and web services.
Direct creation of media files with Server API
After completion of the segments editing process, the program may also be stored as a new media file. Audio tracks as AES / EBU pairs can be rearranged. The original files remain unchanged. Used in export for archiving and web services.
Where Subtitle files need to be involved in the transmission sequence, DirectEdit comes in place. When loading material, the subtitle file is loaded along. The text with the appropriate timecode values will be displayed "under monitor" and in a table, synchronized with the TC of the segment. In case of errors, the subtitles can be realigned. Saving and naming is done according to preset procedure.
QuickEditQT does not require a server channel. It uses the low-resolution proxy files from the Omneon server. Having the same timecode as the hiRes material they serve as a basis for synchronizing subtitles TC.
Availability of Material on Main and Backup Server
DirectEdit is set for rapid switching between main and backup server. The necessary access paths are set and used to check the existence of material. The AFD setting set in parallel in all available instances.
It is important to see whether the entry was already checked and edited. Therefore, there are three metadata attributes, showing up on buttons.
- Technically checked
- Content approved
- attention required
These flags are part of the user data in the media file. They are manually set by the editor as needed.
Provision for Web exports
The ability of the server to create new composite media files will be used for export to transcoding stations. The naming can be customized according to customer requirements.
Many settings are on one Page. Can be user restricted.